File photo: A snapshot of the riots during the 2016 ‘coup’ in Turkey. EPA/TOLGA BOZOGLU
Confessions have been extracted from “accused” opponents of Erdogan’s regime through torture and threats of rape from relatives. as participants in the 2016 coup.
The collected evidence proves that from the first moment a pogrom began, resulting in the persecution of tens of thousands of opponents of the regime.
His report Levent Kenneth from Stockholm to the Nordic Monitor, it is revealing
Former Colonel Arif Kalkan, who worked in the intelligence service of the Turkish Gendarmerie Administration, revealed details of the torture and abuse he suffered in a police station during his testimony in court after his arrest in a controversial coup attempt in 2016.
Kalkan said he was threatened with harm to his family if he refused to sign a statement prepared by the police. The testimony of Kalkan, who was allegedly tortured, was used as evidence in documents prepared by the Supreme Court of Appeal.
According to video obtained by Nordic Monitor, Kalkan said his statement to police changed and turned into a completely different storyline. Telling the panel of judges that he had been detained 25 days after the July 15, 2016 coup attempt, he was threatened with photos of brutally tortured generals who had been detained before him.
The immunity of torturers
Kalkan also said the officers told him nothing would happen if they killed him. In fact, the officers knew they were legally protected when they made this threat.
Torturers in Turkey were protected by a government decree issued by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that granted full immunity to officials involved in coup investigations.
Legislative Decree no. 667, issued by the government on July 23, 2016, provided extensive protections for law enforcement officials to prevent victims from bringing complaints of torture, mistreatment, or abuse against officials.
There have been numerous cases in which Turkish prosecutors have refused to investigate allegations of torture, citing this decree law or KHK (Kanun Hükmünde Kararname).
To date, no prosecution has been initiated against those who tortured prisoners despite multiple complaints filed by the victims and their lawyers.
The threat of rape
Kalkan added that he told police he did not mention any of the details that were in the statement in front of him, but had to sign it after police threatened to arrest and rape his wife. and his daughters if he refused.
Explaining that he was in civilian clothes all night at the barracks on July 15, 2016, Kalkan said that with the news that fighter jets had been shot down and the Bosphorus Bridge was closed, he believed there was possibly a terrorist attack in progress.
Although he claimed no involvement in any coup-related activity, Kalkan was sentenced to life in prison on July 17, 2018. In 2022, the Supreme Court of Appeal upheld the sentence.
Kalkan’s testimony in which he denounces Erdogan’s regime
Kalkan’s statement that he claimed he was taken under duress was included in a briefing document prepared by the Supreme Court of Appeals after the coup. The fact that the court, which had the power to affirm or quash Kalkan’s sentence, found him guilty before the end of the appeal process is an example of how the attempted stabbing cases State are dealt with in the Turkish judicial system, which is subject to the strict control of the President.
Torture and other inhuman treatment have become part of Turkey’s domestic policy under President Erdogan’s government. This practice peaked after the July 2016 coup attempt, which was used by the Erdogan government as a pretext to suppress dissidents.
Despite repeated calls from international organisations, including the United Nations, the Council of Europe and the EU, as well as various NGOs, the Turkish authorities have continued to turn a deaf ear to the fight against torture and to punish torturers in violation of their international law obligations.
Instead, in legislative decrees enacted during the two-year state of emergency that followed, the government provided legal protection for torturers, thereby encouraging torture and allowing torturers to act with impunity.
Who organized the coup?
The failed 2016 coup was reportedly a false flag operation planned by President Erdogan, his intelligence chief Hakan Fidan and then-army chief Hulusi Akar.
Erdogan used the attempted coup as a pretext to consolidate his power, purge pro-NATO officers from the army and launch a cross-border military invasion of Syria.
Erdogan blamed US-based Turkish Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen for the attempt and launched a major witch hunt against his supporters with dubious criminal charges. Gulen has categorically denied any role in the failed coup, and the Turkish government has so far produced no evidence linking Gulen to the attempted coup.
Source Nordic Monitor
Erdogan: After the plane – fraud, he also discovered a large oil field in… a mountain [βίντεο]
Follow HELLAS JOURNAL on NEWS GOOGLE
Hellasjournal – Newsletter